Wednesday 27 October 2010

what is the world coming to?

I watched some of BBC 24 tonight (this morning if being pedantic). The high death tolls are depressing. Pakistan, Haiti and Indonesia - not to mention the ongoing untold deaths in war zones such as Iraq and Afghanistan. But what I found more depressing was the way these numbers didn't shock me like they should. Is it just that we hear more and more in this modern technological age? Is it perhaps the way that the presenter so - coldly - gives the facts? I am reminded of the way that Trevor McDonald cried when presenting one news piece. I know I know, who wants to see an emotional news reader right? just the clean simple facts - like who and where and how many?! but to me it's just a bit wrong that those numbers don't shock me any more. I spent some time watching news reports of long ago tonight. The change though wasn't in presenting style but in how each story seemed to highlight the humanity of the stories and people involved. I don't often watch the news in all honesty, my bad. The thing is that I normally hear/read enough to get a bit of a picture anyway without quite such a desperate feeling of helplessness that usually accompanies the news. The woman just went "300 dead and hundreds more missing" as if she was talking about flowers or something! Can't blame the woman - she's doing her job but it just seems wrong that on the one hand we are exposed to so much of the worlds problems and on the other we seem removed from them. Perhaps it's just me though? in which case please feel free to ignore my tired ramblings,
I will pray for the world tonight because,
the world is coming (at some point, believe me I don't know when) - to the kingdom of God!
love to y'all (American accent required for that final bit),
kitten x
P:s - Alex and I invested in a motorbike today to increase our adventures next year! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment