Sunday 10 April 2011

it was a mini adventure...

This weekend we went to Sunny Lincolnshire on our motorbike. We camped for two nights at a lovely camp site  in Boston. We were in front of the fishing lake, it was so beautiful and the weather was just so amazing. The journey there, on Friday evening, was mostly very smooth, we have a little microphone link up so it was really lovely to be able to chat a little bit about the views around us. it took about 3 hours, so by the time we got there it was actually very very dark and extremely cold. So we got the tent up, I say we...I was a little useless but still.. it only took Alex about 20 mins and we got in the porchy bit and had supper, chilli and rice cooked on the camping stove and a cup of tea, blooming yum! Then it was off to bed - an air bed with sleeping bag. Here-in lies another tale. It was extremely cold! shuddering, teeth chatteringly cold! Also this was about the precise time when the fish decided to have a belly flopping competition in the lake, the local dogs all decided to bark and howl messages at one another - we were near two kennels it would appear. The owls also came out and not many hours later a cat joined in just for fun. So a sleepless night later I wasn't overly happy about the noisy, albeit beautiful dawn chorus! Still we went for a trek in the sun for some stuff to cook for breakfast and I soon cheered up - we decided to laze around on site all day. It was absolutely beautiful at the site, so why go elsewhere? Also this was genuinely the first time in a long time that we were forced to spend any real amount of time together just the 2 of us with no telly. Actually really amazing! Also we snoozed as - the sun had of course warmed everything up! so relaxed - I don't remember being so chilled in a heck of a long time. So anyhoo - night time came and we sat round a fire pit for a good while we had dinner, smash and a tin of beef in gravy (much nicer than it sounds) But in the mean time the temperature had once again dropped down very very low. We did all the usual getting ready for bed stuff and got in bed. only to almost instantly need the loo and start shivering. Off we went again. Now I want to ask you a question, dear friends, what do you wear in bed? I ask this because, last night I wore...my socks, my pyjama trousers and pyjama pants, my jeans, my jumper and a cardigan and my neck buff. I was snuggled next to Alex under our sleeping bag. We created a hot water bottle with an old squash bottle and I was still freezing beyond belief and yet..I lay there just keep going over in my mind, saying..."imagine being homeless" and "there are people out there who don't have a tent, four layers of clothes and an air bed. They don't even have the means to create a hot(ish) waster bottle. They probably don't have a husband to cuddle, and they almost certainly won't have had a hot dinner and cup of tea before bed. Imagine if the dogs barking out there, were actually sniffing all over me? Imagine if whatever that I just heard rustling the bag outside, was actually up in my face? Imagine if that siren was bringing a policeman who would once again move me on? These people don't just sleep outside in April, they sleep out here at all times of year including snow and Ice!" I spent the whole night knowing that this morning I would get up and have a lovely breakfast and that today I was coming home to a warm cottage and a big warm comfy bed. Many homeless people, must have little or no hope of this? I just spent the whole night wondering about all these poor people. I don't know how much if anything I can really do to help? But I think I'm going to have to do something, because cold like that is a killer, in every sense of the word. A killer of spirit, good humour, physical health and people.
The rest of the weekend continued in it's fabulous way. We went to Skegness this morning and loved every minute of it. We used to go there with my parents on hols when we were younger and we weren't disappointed. The light was all over the sea, turning it into a tin foil dream. It was difficult to drag ourselves away, having had such a peaceful, beautiful weekend. But home we came.
Unfortunately we have decided that France on the motorbike really is pushing our poor bodies a bit too far. Therefore, we are currently looking into possibly taking th car, still adventuring around France and camping here and there but just in the car instead...hmm, well we'll see. It's our Easter hols for 2 weeks now so I'll still be wonderfully busy, but will try and keep this up to date!
kitten out x

3 comments:

  1. Let me share my keeping warm trip as a seasoned camper....wearing little is actually the way forward! A vest top and PJ bottoms will suffice. I think it allows the sleeping bag to do it's insulating job properly if you have fairly decent sleeping bags.
    I'm upgrading to a camp bed this year as getting fed up of deflating air beds in the middle of the night - will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you coped admirably considering you were so cold! I often think like you whenever I am cold in bed - how blessed I am to have a bed and a quilt - and a kettle and hot water bottle! Unlike you I then promptly forget about those unfortunate homeless people - maybe I should be cold more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you ladies,
    well on the first night I wore considerably less and was still incredibly cold. When I got into bed, the second night I had only my PJ's on - until I had to go to the loo - but my teeth were still chattering and my face, especially my nose, felt like it was about to drop off! - with all the layers I did finally manage to get some sleep - I just think it was very very cold - regardless of what I wore etc!! still if we're taking the car to France we can take blankets etc!!

    Dawn - I really think God is doing something with me here!, watch this space!

    ReplyDelete